Friday, March 01, 2002

Good News on Text Messaging

I'm a Voicestream wireless customer (thanks to a WalMart promotion) which gets me all I need for roughly $40 a month. The phone was free, the first month was free, all the "initiation" and "security deposit" charges were waived, I'm a happy customer, thank you Sam Walton for every-day-low-pricing your partners. Voicestream works pretty well. Not as well as Verizon, but close enough and cheaper.

As it happens, I don't really like talking on the phone, but I'm a huge fan of text messaging. MEET ME ON 1ST TEE AT 12N 2MORO is my idea of wireless communication. And therein lies the problem, because with Voicestream (and Sprint and Verizon), you can only text message wirelessly to same service customers. This problem, happily enough, is about to go away, according to CNET. Which is very good news indeed.