Thursday, April 04, 2002

The Masters Pool

Next week is The Masters Championship at Augusta National and I'm in two pools. The first is run by my friend Mike Doud at the Sleepy Hollow Country Club. Everybody fields a team of six players. Add up their combined scores at the end of the tournament. Low number wins. In the event of two identical teams or low scores, the tiebreaker is simple. Everyone submits what they think will be the winning number (last year I said the champion would come in at 12-under par). It rarely comes to that.

Anyway, I've picked my team: Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Vijay Singh, Joe Maria Olazabal, Retief Goosen and Sergio Garcia. Given the new length of the course and the incredible speed of the greens, I think 10-under par will win. I feel uneasy not having David Duval on my squad. But there it is.