Wednesday, February 05, 2003

As I Said To Myself At Davos

New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman has divined the mood of America:

I've had a chance to travel all across the country since September, and I can say without hesitation there was not a single audience I spoke to where I felt there was a majority in favor of war in Iraq. The dominant mood is: "Mr. President, we don't want to be against you in a war on terrorism. But do we really have to do this? My 401(k) is now a 201(k), heading for a 101(k). Osama bin Laden is still on the loose. The Europeans are uncovering new terrorist cells right and left. And I have walked through so many airport metal detectors in the last year that I now glow in the dark. I understand what the Afghan war was about and would have volunteered with a pitchfork — but I just don't get this war."

I don't care what the polls say, this is the real mood.


Mr. Friedman divined America's mood by doing a book publicity tour. Why didn't Dick Wirthlin think of that?