Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Scared of Crooked Liars?

Let's go straight to AP reporter Mike Glover's "nut" graph:

Earlier Wednesday in Chicago, Kerry toughened his comments about his GOP critics after a supporter urged him to take on Bush. "Let me tell you, we've just begun to fight," Kerry said. "We're going to keep pounding. These guys are the most crooked, you know, lying group I've ever seen. It's scary."

Is Senator Kerry becoming Howard Dean? What in the world is he going to say in September? And October? By way of contrast, I offer you President Clinton's 1996 acceptance speech to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago:

First, let us consider how to proceed. Again I say the question is no longer who's to blame, but what to do.

I believe that Bob Dole and Jack Kemp and Ross Perot love our country, and they have worked hard to serve it. It is legitimate, even necessary, to compare our record with theirs, our proposals for the future with theirs. And I expect them to make a vigorous effort to do the same.

But I will not attack. I will not attack them personally or permit others to do it in this party if I can prevent it. (Applause.)

My fellow Americans, this must be -- this must be a campaign of ideas, not a campaign of insults. The American people deserve it. (Applause.)