Monday, August 26, 2002

A Story No One Wants To Read

I don't know when your 9/11 overload will begin, but mine kicked in this morning. This story, about brave and daring media, pushed me over the edge. I'm in boycott mode now. Because I know these two things are true:

1) The 9/11 anniversary coverage has little to do with 9/11 and everything to do with ratings and newstand sales.

2) The 9/11 anniversary coverage will reach new levels of victim exploitation.

I suspect that many people feel exactly as I do. I haven't met a single person who wants to read the Time Magazine 9/11 anniversary special issue (and I've asked). I haven't met a single person who is looking forward to ABC News' all-day coverage. And surely no one looks forward to the 24-hour cable news menu of 9/11 exploitation. It will be hideous.

Recover, Rebuild, Revenge. That was the bumper strip downtown, after the airplane bomb attacks. We've recovered. We're rebuilding. We will have our revenge. The media are stuck on "recovery" (their own, mostly). The rest of us have moved on. Long ago.