Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Side-Winding

Now that the entire world knows that the infamous Killian memos are, in fact, forgeries, it's worth noting that one man -- Dan Rather -- still believes that the documents are authentic. I know I say this over and over again, but really: You can't make this stuff up. Let's go to the text of Dan's crazed interview with the Chicago Tribune:

"Do I think they're forged? No," Rather said. "But it's not good enough to use the documents on the air if we can't vouch for them, and we can't vouch for them."

Rather said he had no regrets for his defense of the story.

"I believed in it," he said. "I wouldn't have put it on the air if I hadn't of believed in it. And what kind of reporter would I be if I put something on the air in which I believed, and as soon as it's attacked and under pressure, you run, you fold, you fade, you side-wind? That's not the kind of person I am, and it's not the kind of reporter I am."

Memo to the Suits: Get this guy in a straitjacket asap. He's killing you.

Memo to Roger Simon: Many thanks.